Dirty laundry

金曜日, 7月 29, 2005

Being a Child

I believe when someone says, 'you have a heart like a child', it is a compliment. However, I think it is an insult to refer your behaviour to that of one. Maybe not equally bad but just as unflattering is when people think that you look like one too. This happened on me recently and the comments can range from 'you just came from school?' from an auntie requesting for donations to 'did you just graduate from poly?' asked by my colleague from work. They thought that I am 20 years old at the max. Even more intriguing is that my project mate thought that I can pass off as an 16 year-old when I was already in university then.
Frankly, I do not think that I look that young, considering all those crow-feets around my eyes, smile wrinkles joining the edges of my nose to those of my mouth and not to mention those permanent make-believe gothic looking dark eye rings. The truth is, I believe I am ageing faster than my grandmother. Nothing in me exudes youth, except perhaps for the facts that I still have lots of hair and that I always use my mother as a shield from taking up responsibilities. For example, an insurance agent will be cajoling me to take up their plans and I would simply say, " I can't make decisions on that because my mother is in charge of my finances." or when this diligent lady from the rainbow association asking me to fill in a form to make donations from my personal account on a regular basis, I only need to explain, " I'm sorry but I don't have my own account, it's a joint one with my mother. I need permission from her."
My mother this.. and my mother that...
Though I agree that I should be more independent and stop relying so much on my poor mother on decision-making, this particular tactic of fending off unwanted attention has so far proven to be very effective. That is, if you were to couple it with a child-like face like mine..

  • Google News
  • MY DIY blog