Dirty laundry

月曜日, 1月 30, 2006

The Ugly Orange

I ate an ugly orange today. It looked sad, grumpy and old. It's skin was all crumbled and rough and had black spots and big open pores. I stared at it, earnestly hoping that my skin won't look like this in 80 years' time. However, at the same moment, I thought of not judging a book by its cover. Who knows, this could be the most succulent orange that I've ever tasted!
So, I went on to peel it. The skin was thick and it was further wrapped with a stubborn layer of pith. But after undressing the orange, I placed one flesh into my mouth in full anticipation. The ugly orange tasted very average. It was neither particularly sweet and juicy nor extremely sour and dry. It just tasted normal. Like if it were to be ranged on a scale of 0 to 5, then it would be an exact of 2.5.
After I've mechanically eaten the orange flesh by flesh with sticky fingers and slow chewing mouth, I realised that there was not a single seed in the ugly orange. This was not a surprising discovery but two interesting thoughts came to my mind.
1) Because of its appearance and the fact that it had no redeeming factor (it was not delicious), God had decided to reduce such oranges by making it infertile. This was a very misunderstood ugly orange.
2) Because of God's decision, it had saved me the trouble of spitting out the seeds while eating the orange. Therefore, at the ugly orange's death, it had at least earned my understanding. Too bad, I was its murderer.
R.I.P.

  • Google News
  • MY DIY blog